glamour

HYPOTHESIS DEVELOPMENT

hyp1

MINGLE was designed for the 2014 Collab Student Design Competition, “Diversity”.  The idea was to design seating for a specific context in the home, and I set out to design a gregarious living room chair.  At first, I was unsure how to display the overwhelming, attention-seeking, social qualities that I associated with a gregarious person.  Instead I looked at a living room independent of any potential for gregariousness.  By making a mind map exploring all of the different functions a living room could serve, I found one that spoke to gregariousness best: entertaining.  Once I knew that the chair would express its gregariousness best in a social environment, my hypotheses about its functions began to take form.

FINAL HYPOTHESIS

A gregarious chair should be “loud” in order to attract people towards interacting with it or talking about it with others, either through unusual design or patterns.


A CHAIR WITH MANY ARMS

arm-chair

One sketch was of a “party throne”, which consisted of a chair covered in mannequin arms to serve guests.  This idea of a chair with many arms was quickly translated to an arm chair with many chair arms – a place that people often use to perch during parties.  I decided to create a chair where the “seat” was not where party guests were meant to rest.  Instead, the arms of the chair became the chair itself, offering a temporary rest stop during socialization.  Because the chair had a number of different arms, multiple people could rest at the same time, so the desire to get off their feet never took precedent over continuing conversation.

The “chair with many arms” was too literal, so my next step was to look at the various functions of chair arms while further exploring the form.  My next prototypes focused on the wave-like form created by folding soft fabric.  Then I began to model in Rhino.  It was only after many different experiments with form and 3D prints that I could finally settle on one that would be best used as a perching area.

model1
proto1pic
proto2pic

MODELING PROCESS

11.3.render
ribbon-2
RIBBON-BASIC
chair11.10render2 copy

FINAL MODEL & PRESENTATION BOARD

Since the ABS print looked 3D printed, I created an acetone vapor chamber in my basement with paper towels and a plastic bin.  I soaked the paper towels in acetone, put them under a piece of tin foil, and closed my piece inside for a few hours. When I opened the box, the thinnest part of my piece had become distorted while the convex areas had smoothed as intended.  To remedy the imperfections on the model, I covered the blemished areas with putty, sanded them, and spray painted the entire piece red, giving it a finish that mimicked the shiny plastic it would be made of in full scale.

board12.8